Free UK Postage. For overseas postage costs, please contact us before purchase so we can let you know the cost of delivery.
The painting depicts HMS Sentinel (S56) an S- class submarine of the Royal Navy entering Msida Creek, Malta in 1957. The S-class submarines of the Royal Navy were originally designed and built during the modernisation of the submarine force in
British S-class submarine in 1950’s Malta
Click thumbnail for closer detail
the early 1930s. They met the need for smaller boats to patrol the waters of the North Sea and the Mediterranean Sea replacing the British H class submarines. Due to major naval construction of the Royal Navy during the Second World War, however, the S class became the largest single group of submarines ever built for the Royal Navy; a total of 62 were constructed over a period of 15 years, with fifty of the "improved" S-class launched between 1940 and 1945.The Sentinel was launched on July 27, 1945 and commissioned on 28 December after the end of the Second World War. Further modernisation was carried out during the period 1952/1953. Visible differences were the absence of a gun, the removal of raised gun access tower forward of conning tower, the addition of a snort and the raised fairing over the snort mast raise/lower mechanism. A modern ASDIC dome was also fitted. The Sentinel had a relatively peaceful career. In 1953 she took part in the Fleet Review to celebrate the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth Il. She served with the Ist S/M Squadron in Malta and was maintained by HMS Forth which was moored on the east side of Msida Creek, HMS Sentinel was eventually sold for scrap on February 28, 1962.